The Michele Voelker Scholarship
Michele is greatly missed, but not forgotten and will always be a part of Get You In Shape through The Michele Voelker Scholarship.
Most of you know Get You In Shape’s core values. Our core values below match exactly what we think about when thinking about Michele and how special she was and still is to us.
- Support: Create a positive and healthy environment that promotes motivation, encouragement, accountability and inspiration.
- Integrity: Each individual has a deep intrinsic value and is always provided the highest level of service.
- Empower: Help motivate each client to a life healthy lifestyle so they can pay it forward.
- Respect: The human body is a temple given to us by God.
- Give Back – Use our gifts to help give back to our community
- Over-Deliver: Provide a service that goes above and beyond the typical fitness program
Michele was Get You In Shape! She EMBODIED all the core values we have and embraced them whether she knew them or not. Here are just a few.
- Michele would introduce yourself to anyone she did not know with her beautiful and contagious smile along with her LIGHT.
- Whenever we would introduce a new client to the group, Michele would always go out of her way to help them feel comfortable.
- She would certainly make sure she played her part in building up the group camaraderie by making some funny comments about the exercises, time, what the trainer said, etc.
- Her LIGHT was always present at every fitness session which uplifted everyone’s spirit that was around her.
- I always knew I was in for something if I said knee instead of elbow (which I did and still do a lot)
- Michele would always uplift and support every Get You In Shape client in how they were doing or make a nice comment about how they looked. She was full of positive reinforcement.
- She would always make sure to come and support any charity event we had. She participated in our 5k for Special Olympics the last few years, helped out with the client breakfast, etc. I also remember her just showing up the last two years at our Pushups For Charity event for our veterans to help cheer everyone on.
The great thing about our program is that most of our clients, YOU, live by the same values. This is one reason why our program continues to change lives.
We have done a few things in the past to help folks that have life circumstances get in the way of continuing with our program. We know our program is what they need in their life, but because of their circumstances, they just cannot afford to continue to.
In 2012, we had a few folks come up and let us know they would like to give Get You In Shape some money to help others that may be in the type of financial situation that prevents them from continuing program, or they make a lot of other financial sacrifices in order to continue.
This was the spring board to start the Get You In Shape Scholarship program.
Here are the basics and how you can help if you feel called to:
- This is a fund that will help folks in our GYIS community be able to participate in our program even if they can’t afford to or struggle to continue to participate.
- Discretion is of utmost importance. Get You In Shape will be very confidential regarding who gives and who is awarded some type of scholarship.
- Anyone can give whatever amount they want to give to help “Give Back” and “Pay It Forward”
- Get You In Shape will ask those who would like to benefit from the scholarship to send an email to Brad or Cynthia ONLY giving a very brief description of their needs.
- Get You In Shape will match all donations made to the Scholarship Fund. If the community gives a collective $2000, then Get You In Shape will put in and additional $2,000.
- In order to be a recipient only current and former clients are eligible.
Please know that this is completely voluntary and no one is required to make a donation. Our GYIS community is a very generous and giving group of people. There are a number of events throughout the year where we ask for your help such as the Push-Ups for Charity, the Coppell 5K and the Turkey-Busting Workouts.
This type of program is a little different and we ask that no one feel obligated to make a donation. It is a decision you make with your family no matter how small or large the amount you are considering.