Each year at this time people are starting to think about New Years Resolutions. Health and fitness is always on the top of the list since how you look and feel play such a big role in everything else in your life. Most people either want to get more healthy or want to lose weight. Since 66% of Americans are obese, it’s easy to see why the most popular resolution is weight loss. Get You In Shape and our popular boot camps seem to attract folks that are looking to get started, but we wanted to give you some tips that can help anyone looking for a change, make that change.
The other reason why health and fitness is on the top of New Years Resolutions is that feeling better (having more energy) and looking better (losing weight or getting toner) has a direct result in how your confidence is and your daily performance is. So if you you have a goal to have more energy to play more with your kids more, what you do with your nutrition and fitness will have a role in achieving that goal.
Here are the tops tips for starting, sticking and staying on a health and fitness plan in 2012
1. Have a goal – This is the first thing that you need to decide before doing anything else. Without a goal and a true motivation behind achieving that goal, you very likely to go back to your old habits which got you to where you have been. The other part about setting a goal is to set a realistic goal. If you do happen to need to lose over 40 pounds, it would not be smart to put down you want to lose 20 pounds in one month. You have to think about how long it took you to gain your weight and try to focus on achieving the same thing with losing that same weight you gained. Here is an example on having a goal. Your end goal would be 40 pounds so you would look at that being about about 6-9 month being a healthy time period to achieve that goal. I would then put a goal to lose 5 pounds each month to achieve that goal. The next big part of that goal is why or your motivation behind achieving that goal. This is key and would be to get off some medications. Or because your parents are starting to have health issues because of their weight and you want to lose weight so you don’t have that problem. Losing weight for a big event coming up can always be a great motivating tool to help you reach your goals. The key is to have some sort of goal written down and “why” you want to achieve it.
2. Have a plan – Most people are very excited to start on January 1st but really don’t have a plan set. Having a plan will help you stay motivated and also will help you stick to that plan so you stay on your target goal. Without a plan, you are more than likely to get frustrated and quit like most people do two weeks into the program. Get your calendar out and knock out at least 3-4 days/week when you can exercise. You put all of your other calendar items in your calendar so treat your New Years Resolution the same way. If it is in the calendar you will begin to get more in a habit of actually doing the workouts which is usually the hardest part on the process. One of the reason our program (Get You In Shape) has been so successful and now is a proven program is because it helps people get into a regular routine of exercise. It gets people in the habit of doing something 3-4 times a week which will become something they get used to. Especially after they see great benefits like improved energy, weight loss, and increased production throughout the day. So have a plan and put that plan down on your calendar each week so you know when you are going to be working out. That time is for YOU (or your kids if you need to include them because you need to)
3. Get help – Getting started in a goal to look, feel, and perform better is always the hardest part. .Most people just simply don’t know where to start when starting a fitness and health program on their own or with a friend. For most people, getting help means hiring a personal trainer or signing up for a group fitness program. Group Fitness Programs are very popular and have continued to grow because many people like the personal attention they get from the trainers and the accountability and support they get from the group. Another huge benefit and reason why group fitness programs (boot camps) are so popular is that it is a fraction of the cost of a private personal trainer. Even if you are only planning on investing in one month of personal training or a fitness boot camp program, it will allow you to get the start you need to keep going on your own. The Get You In Shape program (which is our proven group fitness program) does two huge things when people start. We help ensure people do the each and exercise exercise correctly to help get the most out that particular exercise (helps burn more calories) and to help minimize injuries. People that have not worked our either in a while or in a long time tend to get some sort of nagging injuring easier since they may not know how to do a squat so that it activates the muscles in the back of the legs and not in their knees. They end up feeling pain in their knees and think “I guess I better not workout because my knee hurts” so their New Years Resolution is out.
I am not saying you have to go out and hire a personal trainer or join a group fitness program or boot camp program. I am saying that getting professional help is going to help benefit you more and there is a reason why so many people do that in their quest to look, feel, and perform better.
If you simply are not going to do get professional help then the next options would be to get a group of friends together to start together will help. It has been proven that folks that have group accountability and inspiration do have a higher chance to achieving their goals. It’s no wonder why Weight Watchers, the Biggest Loser, and all the other group programs out there are so successful and help people reach their goals. So get a group of friends together, get a plan, and start your journey together.
4. Start and always be thinking “little an often over the long haul”– You have a goal, you have a plan, you have help, the next key it is just start. This may sound funny but most people never ever start because they are too nervous and keep putting it off. If you have help (and are paying for it) it not easy but you are more forced to start. If you have decided to do it on your own, starting is the next big step. The phrase “little and often over the long haul” is something I got from a international health and fitness trainer names Dan John . The key to any program is to sticking and staying over time. Doing something little and often just means exercising and eating healthy consistently each and every day over time. This will allow you to make small goals turn into your 6 month goal. So make sure you have your start date on your calendar and stick to it. It will not only be a starting point but if you do stick to it, it will increase your confidence knowing you accomplished this small thing. Then the “little and often over the long haul” will allow you to continue to achieving small steps along the way to you achieving HUGE GOALS!
5. Nutrition, Nutrition, Nutrition – Although we are a fitness company, we know that 70&-80% of someone’s results will come from what they put in there mouth. The same tips apply to the nutrition part of things as with the fitness. our 24 Day Challenge program is just a nutrition program we have so that people get a fresh start and have been proven to help gets people to a fast weight loss and fitness start. For 2014, we
Here is a quick suggestion on what to eat and what NOT to eat for 15-30 days (it’s up to you) then sticking to this 80% of the time after that.
What to consume – Fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, good fats, nuts, multivitamin and Omega-3’s and lots of water
What not to consume – fried foods, dairy, wheat, anything white, alcohol, high calorie juices, and most condiments.
These are basic but it will help with getting started. Get You In Shape will be launching our Total Transformation Contest starting in January for anyone looking to kick start New Years with a proven program and some motivation (over $750 in prizes).
To summarize the 5 tips to
1. Have a Goal and a motivation behind why you want to achieve that goal
2. Have a plan and put that plan in your calendar
3. Get help from a professional trainer, a local fitness boot camp, or your friends.
4. Get started and think “little and ofter over the long-haul
5. Know that nutrition is 70%-80% of the battle over how you look, feel, and perform
Get You In Shape was started in 2006 by Brad Linder. Fast forward to today, Get You In Shape is the most popular, most talked about, and most results-driven fitness program in the Dallas, TX area and in Coppell, TX. Since 2007, Get You In Shape has helped over 5000 participants in our nutrition services and fitness programs. Group Fitness Boot Camps and the Advocare 24 Day Challenge are the two most popular programs that Get You in Shape offers. Get You In Shape also offers Corporate Wellness and Fitness Programs and also private personal training.
To date, the Get You In Shape program has produced amazing results. Over 6,800 inches and over 2,800 pounds lost! As leaders in the fitness and nutrition arena, Get You In Shape helps each client reach their health and fitness goals through different means to help encourage and motivate each client to reach their goals.
Get You In Shape has been featured on ABC, CBS, the national TV show The Doctor’s TV, Dallas Morning News, Fort Worth Star Telegram, and many other media outlet for being gurus when it comes to getting in and health and fitness.
Brad and Cynthia Linder, owners of Get You In Shape, recently joined a select group of the world’s leading health and fitness entrepreneurs becoming Best Selling Authors of 3 Steps To YOUR BEST BODY In Record Time:
Get You In Shape knows how getting in shape and living a healthy lifestyle can be a trying process. We design nutrition and fitness programs for individuals and groups to help make that process easier. Our approach is to educate, encourage, and motivate the client to empower themselves, gain confidence, and change their lifestyle. Those, along with our comprehensive approach to wellness, distinguish Get You In Shape at the top tier of certified personal trainers and nutrition consultants in Dallas, TX and Fort Worth, TX. With a focus on a comprehensive approach, supportive encouragement, and being available to all of our clients, we assist and direct each of his clients to get in shape and stay healthy.